Tuesday, April 14, 2009


What makes a public housing development troubled? (The above image is an unfair stereotype). I ask in all honesty. An article in the Washington Post about stimulus help for public housing stated that troubled housing developments would not be denied funds, but would receive more direction and oversight concerning the spending of the stimulus funds.
Nevada is seeking to follow Utah's lead in creating a database for affordable housing. I checked out Utah's (preceding link), and was surprised that my wife and I qualified for a nicer place with cheaper rent. The only problem is that it is substantially farther away, and I detest moving!

5 comments:

  1. I love hearing stories like this one. I think the ripple effect of helping each other out can keep us from economic disaster. Hopefully, this landlord will get his due with tenants who care for the property and maintain it properly. A possible win-win situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good blog, Paul. Your choice of articles is timely and varied. Although I don't always see the federal government as bad, there is room for improvement in how many things are administered. We only get a glimpse into how things work, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I give the impression that government is bad, as in the federal government. I have erred if this is what I communicated. You make a sound point that the federal government is a complex organization, only a small part of which understand. We understand the underlying principles, yet, as noted in last week's class discussion, the actual carrying out of legislation, the actual administration, is likely not understood or appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the stereo types are there, I fight it every day. We had one fellow in Smithfield hold up a subdivision there for more than two years because we were building "affordable housing" there and who knew "what kind of people" would be moving in. Yep, we are talking 1000 to 1250 square foot homes with an unfinished basement, 3 bedrooms, two car garage, energy efficient, and quarter acre lots. Total Ghetto!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One note on Utah's affordable housing projects. Current legislation on how these are regulated all but guarantees they will not be viable projects in the next 20 years. The Utah legislature is full of contradictions, they advocate self reliance and then craft legislation that guarantees these projects will never be free of public funds.

    ReplyDelete